top of page

Indigenous Paranormal

Indigenous Paranormal is a monthly YouTube series that delves deep into the haunted history of Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory and surrounding area. Each investigation is conducted by the Kenhte:ke Paranormal Society, a volunteer based group composed of a medium, investigators using standard ghost hunting equipment, and a historical researcher. 

Have you ever wanted to go on a ghost hunt and learn the haunted history of the Bay of Quinte region at the same time? Now is your chance. Author of "It Was Dark There All The Time: Sophia Burthen and the Legacy of Slavery in Canada" Andrew Hunter will be joining us to uncover connections to the Underground Railroad and Macaulay Heritage Park.   

 

A portion of the sales will go to Macaulay Heritage Park for Indigenous and Black programming and to the One Dish Project. 

  • Tyendinaga Mohawk Community Centre Paranormal Investigation Tour
    Tyendinaga Mohawk Community Centre Paranormal Investigation Tour
    Sat, Aug 03
    Mohawk Community Centre
    Aug 03, 2024, 8:00 PM – 10:30 PM
    Mohawk Community Centre, 1807 York Rd, Deseronto, ON K0K 1X0, Canada
    Aug 03, 2024, 8:00 PM – 10:30 PM
    Mohawk Community Centre, 1807 York Rd, Deseronto, ON K0K 1X0, Canada
    Come with questions for Captain John Deserontyon as we try making contact for a potential third time. Hunt for the Goat Man, explore the haunted stairwell, and more.

01

Plaque

St. George's Church & Mohawk Trail

The cairn site is a memorial to the landing in 1784 and to the location of the community's first church, St George's Church. For those following the way of the Church of England, the construction of a church was a challenge and a priority. The Church of England had been an important influence in the lives of the Mohawk People in Mohawk Valley for decades. The first church was completed in about 1794 and enlarged about 1799. It was both a place of worship and a community hall for meetings and celebrations. This Heritage Trail is based upon an original pathway to the old church site, one of many used by Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte in the very early years of our community. Later, the pathway came to link the old church site with the new church, Christ Church, which was consecrated in 1843. Our Community therefore has used this trail for over 200 years.

02

Christ Church

The Mohawks, allies of the British during the American Revolution, settled permanently in Canada following that conflict. A party led by Capt. John Deserontyon landed here in 1784 and constructed a chapel shortly thereafter. The church's historic Communion Plate is part of a gift presented to the Mohawks in 1712 by Queen Anne. In 1798 King George III gave to the chapel, which became known as a "Chapel Royal," a triptych, bell and Royal Coat-of-Arms. The first permanent chaplain, the Reverend Saltern Givens, was appointed in 1831 and, during his incumbency, the present structure was built by the Mohawks in 1843. Although damaged by fire in 1906, Christ Church appears today essentially as originally constructed.

Christ Church

03

Mohawk Community Centre

Tyendinaga Community Centre

Former residnece of the Indian Agent, location of witchcraft questioning. 

In the early days, the community was governed in this traditional way. In the 1840s, the “old Chiefs” were paired with an elected council of men. This diminished the role of women in decision-making. In 1869, the Government of Canada passed the Gradual Enfranchisement Act. The act mandated fully elected councils in a municipal style and prevented the continuation of traditionally selected chiefs. The first election under this law was held in 1870. Women were not allowed to vote in these council elections until 1951.

The system imposed by the Gradual Enfranchisement Act remains part of the Indian Act today. The Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte elect one chief and four councillors every two years under this system.

From 1870 to the present, there have always been those who resisted this imposed system of governance.

04

Kanhiote Public Library

Kanhiote Public Library is housed in the upper level of the former Thayendinaega Health Centre, named after Joseph Brant. It took on many forms since it was built in 1990, and sits on the historical York Road that connects Kingston and Toronto.

 

In this episode we've gathered more evidence than we expected with high MelMeter readings, sls camera captures, evps, and even an orb. Tune in for part one of two. Next month we will show you the evidence we gathered from the offices downstairs.

 

Ghost Tours are coming soon, so subscribe to our channel for a chance to win free passes. Subscribe to our website to be the first to find out about dates, locations, and ticket prices.

Kanhiote Public Library

05

Tsi Tyónnheht 
Onkwawén:na

Tsi Tyonnheht Onkwawenna

Tsi Tyónnheht Onkwawén:na tyonkwehtáhkwen tsi sénha yoyánere ón:ton tsi ohwentsyá:te ahse’kén Kanyen’kehá:ka tsi niyonkwarihò:ten, onkwateryen’tarà:tshera táhnon tsi niyohtányon yonkwateryèn:tare. Teyethinonhwerá:tons ne Kanyen’kehá:ka, sahontená:tayen, táhnon akwé:kon a’nowarè:ke ratì:teron ne ahatiweyentéhta’ne onkwá:wen wahón:nise aorihwà:ke, nahotiyà:tawen ne onkwá:wen onwa’kéha, táhnon ayonkhiyatya’tárhahse ne onkwá:wen teyohswáthe ohén:ton yawenhniseratenyóntye.

Tsi Tyónnheht Onkwawén:na believes the world is made better by Kanyen’kehà:ka culture, knowledge, and ways of knowing. Each day, we work to share and preserve our culture for generations to come, creating a better future for all. We welcome Kanyen’kehà:ka, settlers, and all on Turtle Island to learn about our past, experience our present, and join in our bright future.

In this episode we encounter the librarian in the stairwell, and a different authoritative figure in the offices that makes some feel like they are "being watched". Tsi Tyónnheht Onkwawén:na is located on York Road below Kanhiote Public Library.

06

The Tiny House

The Enyonkwa’nikonhriyo:hake Program will build safety, encourage and promote wellness through practicing: peace, inclusiveness and respect, inspired by our cultural beliefs, values and teachings.

The Good Minds Program ensures that MBQ is able to deliver counselling services, youth programming, circles (groups), grief recovery, ceremonies, elder support, addictions counselling, Child & Youth Wellness and NNADAP prevention programming. Our goal is to build linkages and relationships with on and off Territory agencies to provide services of utmost quality.

This was the previous location of Kanhiote Public Library, where Andrew had once worked during the summer. He and others who have been to the basement have reported the same, and have heard footsteps upstairs. 

The presence of "Bo", the name the former librarian gave the spirit, is not evil but will make you believe it is. Our reports from Trudy tell us he is protecting something. 

In this episode, we may have uncovered a portal; discretion is advised for this episode as there is significant course language during the spirit box session. 

Bo's House

07

Schoolhouse/
Kawenna'on:we

In 1860, Catherine Loft, a member of the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte, was certified as a teacher. However, the councilmen would not hire her because she was a woman. In 1870, Lydia Hill, also a community member, became the first woman teacher on Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory.

In 1784, a school was one of the first buildings constructed on Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory. Most students were formally educated at “day schools” in the community. By the early 20th century, there were four such schools. In 1955, Quinte Mohawk Day School (QMS) was built to centralize grades 5 through 8. These schools were eventually replaced by a new, larger school (also called QMS) in 1974.

Kawenna'onwe

08

Former Mohawk Orange Lodge#99

The former Mohawk Local Orange Lodge #99 is located on the infamous York Road on Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory and now houses the Ohahase Education Centre. During this investigation we caught substantial evidence to show that Doctor Oronhyatekha is haunting the halls. Dr. Oronhyatekha joined many fraternal bodies, including the Orange Order, the Masons, and the Independent Order of Good Templars of which he ultimately became the Right Worthy Grand Templar, the head of the organization, in 1891.

 

He was a strong temperance advocate. He joined the American National Temperance Society and the Canada Temperance Union, and lobbied for the prohibition of alcohol. The Grand General Indian Council of Ontario and Quebec elected Dr. Oronhyatekha its chairman in 1872. This group protested the increasingly restrictive Indian Act, which governed Indigenous peoples in Canada. In 1885, he lobbied for support for the Electoral Franchise Act proposed by Prime Minister John A. Macdonald, which would give some Indigenous peoples the vote.

 

Oronhyatekha was the sixth son of Lydia Loft and Peter Martin senior. The number of his siblings is unclear, but he had perhaps up to 17 brothers and sisters. His third cousin was the famed poet and performer, E. Pauline Johnson. There were temperature spikes, temperamental spirits, electronic voice phenomenon, electromagnetic frequency and temperature fluctuation, and even a clear knock when the spirits were asked to while doing "the knock test".

Orange Lodge

09

Sydenham, Ontario: House Call

Sydenham

In this episode we had a house call to Sydenham, Ontario. This town is almost as old as Canada itself, and the home has been around for just as long. During this investigation we came across Henry Stoness, a man who hung himself on the property and also the architect of the home.

 

We also make brief contact with a little girl, another man, and a family member of the homeowner who had a message from the other side. The amount of evidence we gathered shouldn't have been surprising, considering we had EMF spikes and SLS hits during our preliminary sweep.

 

During this investigation we also caught, what appeared to be, a white mist forming, and the SLS camera picked it up too. The entire home is a hotspot housing Stone City Tropicals.

10

Deseronto, Ontario: House Call

This episode takes us into historic Deseronto, Ontario - Named after Captain John Odeserundiye, an ancestor of Andrew's who reached out during the sensory deprivation session. We spent the night uncovering attempted possession, demonic intentions, and even contacting spirits that communicated during the open spirit box session they had done time at the Kingston Penitentiary.

John Deseronto
Queen Anne All Saints

11

All-Saints Cemetery

Stories of German spies have been told through the generations. This investigation confirms oral tradition of incidents during WWII at Camp Mohawk. A spirit box session hinted to acts of witchcraft, and warnings to leave came roaring from our device. In a sensory deprivation session, we were directed "east" which could mean to search near the airfield. Tune in for a story of captured spies.

12

Original Quinte Mohawk school site

Our investigation of the former First Nations Technical Institute building in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory uncovered some of the most evidence of paranormal activity yet. Our motion sensor balls were set off, EVPs poured through the spirit box, and more.

This investigation was focused inside the former First Nations Technical Institute building on Old York Road. The building stands directly beside the original site of Quinte Mohawk School, which was then converted to an administration building and ultimately being torn down. 

Old First Nations Technical Institute Building FNTI Aviation MBQ Owned Building

Subscribe to Our Website

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page